I rented a car on a 2-week trip to the US in August 2012. It was returned September 10th. There was a small scratch which the agent said they might charge for, that she would be in touch. I returned home to China, but heard nothing and so thought it was OK.

The end of October I received a letter charging $370 for the scratch. I contacted my credit card company, which covered the car. They refused, because their conditions were that claims must be made within 45 days of the charge. The letter was mailed on September 12, but delivered in China in late October.

I contacted Alamo. They claimed not to have my email address - clearly false, since I have received weekly advertisements from them since the rental. They have refused to consider reducing or eliminating the charge, which is out-of-pocket rather than insured because of their delay. I asked to speak to a manager, the customer service agent said one would contact me within a business day. He never did, I followed up a week later and she said he was out of the office for the next month - but if I didn't pay they would send it to collection.

I am disappointed that in 2012 Alamo uses surface mail for time-sensitive issues, but also that their customer service has quite obviously had no more reaction to my complaint than maybe getting a good laugh.

Review about: Alamo Car Rental.

Comments

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States #587075

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We would like to look into this further. Please email Care[at]Alamo.com with your full name, the exact rental location and any other details.

When emailing, please list reference # 121228-001906 in the subject line.

Gillian T.